Benefits and Side Effects of Aluminum Foil
Aluminum foil is an efficient packaging material that is made from the metal aluminum. This foil is one of the most useful kitchen products that was introduced by Richard S. Reynolds. There are a number of benefits involved with the use of aluminum foil. There are also side effects involved but very few. Aluminum foil is actually molded in the form of thin sheets, which can be easily folded or rolled according to your needs. It is popularly used for packing food to protect it from light, oxygen, odors, flavors, moisture and bacteria.
There are a number of reasons why this is being used widely. Inexpensiveness, durability, non-toxic, greaseproof etc. are some of the main reasons which makes it perfect for packing food. Aluminum foil has a highly reflective side and a more matte side. It is also used for antiseptic packaging of drinks and dairy products as well since it allows them to be kept outside the refrigerator without letting the food lose its moisture and taste.
Benefits of Aluminum Foil
If we talk about the benefits of aluminum then refresh your mind as there is a long list of benefits involved with the use of the foil. It is worth noting the fact that aluminum foil is used all over the world not only for serving the purpose of packing foods but also for packaging cosmetics and chemical products as well. Also about 85% of the aluminum foil produced are used for packaging purpose. Following are some of the benefits of aluminum foil:
1) Because of its excellent impermeability to water vapor and gases, it helps in storing food for a longer period of time. It also helps in maintaining the freshness of the food.
2) The aluminum foil can also be used for the purpose of protection, decoration and heat sealing as well. And as a result, it is best for packaging medicinal oils, antiseptic drink box, etc.
3) Since it provides barriers to light, it is extremely useful in packaging photographic materials and other light-sensitive products.
4) Other than using the foil for packaging purposes, it can also be used for the purpose of sharpening scissors. It can also be used to make your soap last longer. All you have to do is to wrap the foil around the bottom of the bar.
5) Aluminum foil can also be used to clean your gold or silver jewelery. Wrap the jewelery in the foil and soak it in saline water overnight. The next morning you will find the jewelery sparkling and shining.
Apart from these benefits, it can also be used for decorating your house and other crafty creations.
As far as the side effects are concerned, there are not much provided if you use it properly and for the right purpose. Wrapping acidic food with aluminum foil can make the food taste metallic as it can cause reaction with the foil. And this is bad for the health. Also avoid using aluminum foil in the microwave oven.